We certainly don't want to scare you, but want to make you aware so you can keep your pup family safe this fall. Here is just a partial list of some things that tend to be around in the fall that can be dangerous to our precious pups:
1) Acorns -Acorn seeds contain tannic acid which causes digestive upset, and in extreme cases, liver and kidney damage. Signs of tannic acid poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and lethargy. Your pups are unlikely to suffer organ damage from eating one or two acorns. The issue is more common in grazing animals that have repeat exposure to the seeds. However, curious pups should be monitored during fall walks to prevent digestive upset, choking, and intestinal blockage from acorn nuts.
2) Chrysanthemums - We enjoy getting to have fall flowers for the beauty and color they bring, but Chrysanthemums contain pyrethrins, which are chemicals that can be mildly toxic to dogs. The symptoms are based on how much your pup eats. The symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, and wobbliness.
3) Moldy Leaves - Damp leaf piles often contain mold and bacteria which can cause respiratory symptoms if your pup is allergic. In addition, fall leaf piles may contain traces of toxic plant matter. Not to mention creepy crawlies like fleas, ticks, mites and snakes that love to hide out in leaf piles. It is best to rake and remove leaves from your property and prevent your dog from rooting around in old leaves.
4) Antifreeze - Although we need this for our cars to run well during the colder months, Ethylene Glycol can be fatal to our pets. The antifreeze has a sweet taste dogs so they can be drawn to it. Be careful! Maybe consider switching to a propylene glycol-based coolant. It can still be dangerous if ingested, but it's much less toxic than other engine coolants. You should also take care to wipe up any spills and keep these products well out of reach of children and pets.
Enjoy the fall and keep those precious pup family safe! Happy Tails!!!